We love pickles around here. It is so easy to make a quick pickle and it elevates any dish. Tacos, salads, burgers, stir-fry, rice bowls, sandwiches… okay I will stop. The tang and crunch of a quick pickle just makes everything taste better! We love keeping red onion quick pickles in the fridge (my kids LOVE them) but don’t stop at red onions. Carrots, radishes, cucumbers (obviously), green beans, cauliflower… so many options! I usually double the batch of vinegar and make two different types at once!
I use honey here as a sweetener because I always try and go the less refined route, but I really like the earthiness the honey adds opposed to sugar!
- One red onion thinly sliced, bunch of radishes thinly sliced, one bunch of carrots thinly sliced on a diagonal or 2 hot house cucumbers thinly sliced… any vegetable thinly sliced.
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- In a small saucepan add the water, vinegar, honey & salt. Place over medium high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, place your sliced vegetables in a large mason jar (or other container just make sure it’s heat proof!).
- Once vinegar mixture comes to a slight boil pour over vegetables in the mason jar. I use a large funnel to prevent splashing. Poke the vegetables under the liquid with a knife to make sure submerged.
- Allow to cool on the counter before storing in the fridge for up to three weeks.
*Feel free to mix up the vinegar you use and throw in some spices or red pepper flakes!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through an affiliate link. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you, thank you! All items linked are because we own, love and use them; or think they are of value to our readers (basically, we think they are pretty cool and want them ourselves!). Please let us know you have any questions about any products featured!