As the school year winds down into Summer, things tend to get a little crazy, no? Even if you don’t have kids in school it just seems like the days are short and packed.
So many appointments you’re trying to wedge in before summer and all the events… it’s wonderful to have a full calendar but it leaves me short on time.
I have been prepping breakfast the night before for everyone because it starts the day off right. Thad’s Banana Bread, Morning Glory or Blender Muffins, dreamy Dark Chocolate Breakfast Pudding or smoothies- it all makes it a touch easier in the morning rush. For a smoothie you just need to prep (cut, cube, measure, freeze) the night before and you are good to go! This cocoa beet smoothie has been a hit! Inspired to add beets to their smoothie by the one I love from Run Fast Slow, I’m impressed I got my kids to drink something with beets!
Kid’s Chocolate Beet Smoothie (serves 2)
- 2 Bananas sliced, frozen
- 2 Cups milk- can be cow, almond, cashew, coconut, oat etc…
- Half of 1 large raw beet, or 2 small, peeled and cubed (seriously raw- the blender will do the work!)
- 2 Teaspoons cashew butter- could swap for almond or peanut butter too!
- 1 Heaping tablespoon of DARK cocoa powder (dark cocoa powder makes all the difference- we use Hershey’s)
- 1 Tablespoon of real maple syrup
- Generous shake of cinnamon
- Slice bananas and place in a glass mason jar or a ziploc bag and place in freezer overnight.
- Peel and cube beet(s) and place in the bottom of a large mason jar (Or another ziploc), add in cashew butter, dark cocoa powder, maple syrup and cinnamon. Seal and place in fridge.
- Now, here you could add in the milk the night before to the storage container or you could wait and do it in the am. I wait but have no reason why! Ha!
- In the morning, place the frozen sliced bananas in the base of a high speed blender, add in the 2 cups of milk and the container with the beets etc.
- Blend on high until smooth with no chunks of bananas.
- Pour in to two cups and serve with a straw!
You could certainly throw in a handful of spinach here or a cup of frozen berries! My kids love this with a muffin on the side! You could also top with some homemade granola for a real treat! Here are my three favorites: Coconut Granola, Classic Granola and Chocolate Hazelnut Granola!