Chocolate Hazelnut Granola
School is about to start… a little over a week to go. I am trying to get into the mindset of being back in a routine (and off the beach).
A wholesome breakfast before the school day starts is a priority in my house. This granola fits the bill. Hearty and nutrient packed with enough chocolate to make the kids happy. Serve with yogurt and fresh berries and you are all set!
A variation on my Granola Formula amped up with the flavors of Nutella!
- 3 Cups gluten free oats (I like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 Cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 Cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 Cup flax meal
- 1/4 Cup coconut or brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 Tablespoons chia seed
- 2 Tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 Cup olive oil or coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 Cup real maple syrup
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Cup chocolate chunks (I like Trader Joe’s)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine first ten dry ingredients and mix well. Then pour in oil, syrup and vanilla extract. (NOT 1/2 Teaspoon of salt and chocolate chunks!)
- Spread mixture on a rimmed parchment lined baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and well toasted.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle granola with 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Allow to cool completely before transferring granola to a large bowl. Add dark chocolate chunks tossing to combine.
- Store in airtight containers!
Serve over homemade yogurt and fruit!