Basil – Spinach Pesto (dairy free)
Sooooo I have not been cooking all that much these past few weeks. We are trying to sift through some health stuff and our diet has been a bit restricted. Besides my current Low FODMAP Diet (oh how I miss shiitakes, cauliflower and YOGURT!!!) we have our child on an elimination diet. He has TERRIBLE eczema so we are trying to get to the root of it. An elimination diet is painful… for both parent and child! So when you have to be dairy free, egg free, gluten free, soy free, corn free, nightshade free, peanut free, pork free, beef free and citrus free it can be… well… tricky to have exciting food. (I think I am forgetting one in there too- oh, sugar!)
I was trying to create a flavorful sauce that we could both eat to perk up all that chicken and rice we have been eating. I went light on the garlic for this one because of FODMAPS, you can certainly add an extra clove. If you are on a really strict FODMAP Diet you could also ditch the garlic and just use garlic olive oil. This was a crowd favorite!
Basil Spinach Pesto
- 1 packed cup basil leaves
- 1 packed cup spinach leaves
- Heaping 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted pine nuts
- 1 medium or 2 Small cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Roast pine nuts in a hot dry skillet until they are a little golden brown. Make sure to stir frequently to prevent burning, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients except olive oil to food processor, pulse to combine.
- Slowly add olive oil through feed tube on food processor and process until combined and smooth.
- Enjoy on your favorite pasta, grilled meat, tomato mozzarella or get really adventurous and put a dollop on your salad like below!