A delightful and easy soup to keep in mind as the weather turns colder. I love a soup on a cold day and this is stick to your ribs good! The key here is the cheese. It is Cheddar Broccoli soup after all. So make sure you use a high quality sharp cheddar. For preshredded we love Tillamook!
I make this in the Instant Pot, but you could certainly just simmer on stove top instead!
Cheddar Broccoli Soup
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter, we like to use Kerry Gold
- 1 Large sweet onion chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves minced (or use a garlic press)
- 1/3 Cup of old fashioned rolled oats (make sure gluten free if need be)
- 1/4 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Pounds of broccoli, stems peeled, all chopped into bite sized pieces
- 4 Cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 Cups sharp shredded cheddar
- Salt & Pepper
- Turn on the sauté function of your Instant Pot. Add the butter and melt down, stir in the onions and garlic. Cook until just softened.
- Add in the oats, nutmeg and cayenne and stir to combine. Allow to sauté for a few minutes to toast the oats.
- Season with salt & pepper then add in all of the broccoli and 4 cups of stock.
- Turn off the sauté function. Place the lid on your Instant Pot and lock into place. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once cook time is done release pressure manually. I place a towel over the top to avoid steam and splatter. Remove the lid.
- Add the 2 cups of cheddar to the pot. Then, using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Alternatively, pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Check for salt & pepper and add to taste.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot you can easily make this on the stove top too. Follow directions through #4 and then bring contents of pot to a boil. Simmer until the broccoli is tender about 10-15 minutes. Then add cheese and blend!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through these links. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you! All items on here are things that we own, love and use almost daily if not multiple times a day! Feel free to contact me with questions on any of the items!