Sweet & Spicy Pecans
Okay, is it just me or do the Holidays seem like a full on contact sport this year? So much to do and everyone is in a rush! I almost got slammed backing out of a parking spot today… It makes me want to hole up in my house watch Christmas movies and bake all things Christmas! These nuts fit nicely into that category! My mom used to make something similar as a kid and I loved them. I can’t take credit for these delicious pecans, I found the recipe on Smitten Kitchen (she is fabulous… check her out! Her latest cookbook made my November Favorites and My Holiday Wishlist!) and tweaked it very slightly. These are the perfect thing to bring to a holiday party in a pretty dish or wrapped up in a cellophane bag with a big Holiday bow! Don’t forget teachers and coaches too! Make a double batch; they are so delightful in a salad, over a wheel of melty brie, on yogurt or better yet on an ice cream sundae!
Sweet & Spicy Pecans
- 1/3 cup dark-brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch or two of cayenne pepper, more or less depending on your taste for spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound pecan halves
- 1 egg white at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix sugars, salt, cayenne, and cinnamon in a small ball, making sure the sugars are all incorporated.
- Beat egg white and water until frothy but not stiff.
- Add pecans, and stir to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle pecans with sugar mixture, tossing until coated.
- Spread sugared pecans in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven, and separate nuts as they cool.
- When completely cool place nuts in bowl and serve or into an airtight counter to store at room temperature.
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through an affiliate link. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you, thank you! All items linked are because we own, love and use them; or think they are of value to our readers (basically, we think they are pretty cool and want them ourselves!). Please let us know you have any questions about any products featured!