I posted a photo on my Instagram Stories the other day of an old school Wild Rice Salad that I have made for YEARS. My DM inbox blew up with requests for the recipe. Okay, people love wild rice!
Honestly, it is difficult to write this one up because I don’t measure for this one. I just make it with what I have around and taste as I go. The good news is it means this recipe is VERY flexible. A wild rice blend, artichoke hearts, vinaigrette and mayo (yes, mayonnaise- I know this can be a polarizing ingredient!) are the back bone of this one! Play around with the add ins here; what I have listed are suggestions… who knows what goodies you may have in your “Quarantine Kitchen”!
Wild Rice Salad
- 4 Cups cooked wild rice blend (I like Lundberg Farms or Uncle Ben’s – make sure you are buying a blended mix not straight wild rice)
- 1 1/2 Cups artichoke hearts, chopped (I use frozen, but canned works too!)
- 1 Bunch lacinato kale destemed and thinly sliced or torn into small pieces (here you could use spinach too!)
- 1/2 Red onion finely diced (a bunch of scallions or shallot would work here)
- 1/2 Cup Sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/4 Cup simple vinaigrette dressing (Make you own, see below or favorite store bought vinaigrette/Italian dressing would work too!), more as needed
- 1/4 Cup Hellman’s Mayonnaise, more as needed
- Combine all the ingredients in a large salad bowl, toss to combine.
- If salad appears dry add more dressing and mayonnaise. You want all the ingredients coated and the kale to start to wilt a little bit.
- Check for salt and pepper!
- Eat immediately or store in air tight container for later! It gets better the longer it sits!
Sometimes I add chicken as well for a complete meal! Avocado on top would be great, and a handful of dried cranberries is such a good addition!
- 1/2 Cup of mild olive oil
- 1/4 Cup apple cider vinegar, with more vinegar to taste as needed
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Teaspoon Lawry Salt
I use this basic dressing on everything. It makes a great potato salad as well as a meat marinade!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through an affiliate link. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you, thank you! All items linked are because we own, love and use them, or think they are of value to our readers (basically, we think they are pretty cool and want them ourselves!). Please let us know you have any questions about any products featured!