I finally mastered the perfect dark chocolate buttercream frosting! Not too sweet (yes, that is a thing), perfectly chocolaty and smooth! Super simple and very easy.
This batch will frost a two layer 9 inch cake or 24 cupcakes with a little leftover… and you know what? You can freeze buttercream frosting! Seriously! Pop that bit of leftover frosting in the freezer for when you have a frosting emergency… that exists right?
Best Ever Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 16oz Box/bag of confectioners sugar
- 1 Bar (2 cups) of softened Kerry Gold salted butter (I prefer grass-fed butter!)
- 1 Cup Hershey Special Dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 Cup milk (I use 2%)
- 1/4 Teaspoon sea salt
- In the bowl of a electric mixer (or a large bowl using a hand held mixer) place the butter and salt and whip on medium speed with the paddle attachment until fluffy, about one minute.
- Slowly add in the confectioners sugar 1/3 cup at a time, alternating with 1/3 cup of the Special Dark cocoa powder while mixer remains on slow speed.
- Once all sugar and cocoa powder are combined, stop mixer and scrape down sides and down to the bottom of the bowl with a spatula. Beat again on slow speed adding the milk a tablespoon at a time.
- Beat on high for 3 minutes until the frosting is light and creamy. Add more milk by the tablespoon as needed to smooth out and get to the your desired consistency if needed.
- Scrape down sides one more time and make sure you fold frosting, scraping the bottom of the bowl to incorporate any remaining butter. Beat one more time.
- Directly frost your cupcakes/cakes with spatula or scoop into a piping bag and frost cakes!
- Can refrigerate for 3 days until ready to use or freeze in a Ziploc bag! Allow to defrost on counter until ready to use. You may need to re-whip frosting in a mixer to regain fluff!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through an affiliate link. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you, thank you! All items linked are because we own, love and use them; or think they are of value to our readers (basically, we think they are pretty cool and want them ourselves!). Please let us know you have any questions about any products featured!