Sweet Potato Tortillas
OMG. I made tortillas out of sweet potato. And they were SO GOOD.
These are actually so very easy with a short ingredient list. Added bonus you can add so many accent flavors! Lime zest and roasted garlic, cumin and chili or even maple syrup and cinnamon! The possibilities are endless!
We had these with beef tacos, chicken tacos and then I had a turkey wrap for lunch with my amazing Homemade “Deli” Turkey (in the Instant Pot!)- so good! Next up I’m going to use for a breakfast wrap!
- 2 Cups mashed sweet potato (I quick cook mine in the Instant Pot but you can boil or bake as well!)
- 1 Cup cassava flour (I use this one and it worked perfectly) Plus extra for rolling
- Pinch of salt
- Extras- any of the following: teaspoon of lime zest, dash of cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon of cumin, a roasted mashed garlic clove, teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, tablespoon of maple syrup, teaspoon of cinnamon… you get the drift. Add the flavors you love!
- Olive oil
- To a Cuisinart food processor add your mashed sweet potato, salt and cassava flour. Sprinkle in your desired extra flavorings if using.
- Pulse the food processor until a dough forms- it will become a ball.
- Remove dough from food processor on to a cassava floured board. Shape into a flat disc.
- Cut into 8 pieces (or 16 for smaller tortillas). Take one piece of dough and roll it in to a ball. This makes it easier to make a round tortilla. Then form into a disc and flatten on the floured surface, using cassava flour on hands if dough sticks. Using a rolling pin, flatten out into an 8 to 9 inch round for 8 pieces or 5 to 6 inch round for 16 pieces.
- Heat a griddle on medium low heat. Add a little olive oil to pan.
- Carefully transfer the flattened tortilla dough to the oiled pan. You can flip it over the rolling pin to carry. Use a butter knife to slide between the tortilla dough and board if it sticks. Cook until it starts to brown and then flip. About 2 minutes a side.
- Transfer to a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm. Continue to roll out the dough and cook the remaining tortillas.
- Use as you would any tortilla! Enjoy!
*If you have leftovers seal in ziploc bag and store in fridge!
** You can forgo the food processor and mix by hand too!