I have received several requests for how I make steel cut oats in the Instant Pot, so here you go! This method stems from Melissa Clark’s recipe in her (AMAZING) cookbook, Dinner In An Instant. Super simple, hearty and delicious. They are perfectly creamy without the addition of milk, great for those of you who are dairy free. I always make a large batch and reheat them all week long. If you do not have an Instant Pot yet, I love this one. And here is my review of why I think it is just so fantastic.
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, ghee or butter if not dairy free
- 1 Cup steel cut oats (I use Gluten Free Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats)
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 1/4 Cup water
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the saute function button. Melt the oil, ghee or butter in the pot insert of the Instant Pot.
- Add the steel cut oats, maple syrup (or honey) and salt; stir well. Saute until the oats are toasted and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in water and stir, scraping the stray oatmeal from the sides.
- Turn off the saute function and place the lid on the Instant Pot. Turn the vent to seal. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the time is up, let the pressure release for 10 minutes naturally before you manually release. (I put a kitchen towel over the valve before I switch to venting so steam does not go everywhere)
- After all the pressure has released remove the lid and stir well.
- Portion into bowls and top with more maple syrup. We like ours with berries & yogurt* or bananas and a few chocolate chips!
Store leftovers covered in container in refrigerator. To reheat, portion out a serving into a bowl, add milk of your choice and microwave until warmed through.
*If you are making this recipe, then you have an instant pot… if that’s the case try making your own yogurt. It is INCREDIBLE! Recipe here!