This dish is the happiest of accidents. I went to make our old stand-by weekly, Kale Caesar and my head of kale was not looking so fabulous… I salvaged half of it and reopened my fridge. There was a lonely half a cabbage just waiting to be made into coleslaw. Raw cold cabbage didn’t sound appealing but cabbage roasted up like Brussels sprouts did. Guess what, it was an AWESOME Caesar salad.
Roasted Cabbage & Kale Caesar
- Half a head of cabbage thinly sliced
- Head of curly green kale
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup pecorino romano (I know a Caesar has parm cheese… we like pecorino better!)
- Caesar Dressing (see below)
- Grilled chicken, shrimp, steak etc! Whatever protein you’d like or omit all together!
Caesar Dressing – I can’t take credit for this one. I have tried them all, created some, tweaked others but this is the best one I’ve made. Thanks Smitten Kitchen!
- 1/2 Cup good olive oil
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice (about two lemons)
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise (we prefer Hellmanns)
- 2 Garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place sliced cabbage on baking sheet and drizzle with a little olive oil, just enough to lightly coat. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast cabbage for 15- 20 minutes or until softened and caramelized in spots. You can turn the broiler on high for the last minute to get some real color on it.
- Meanwhile wash and tear you kale into small bite size pieces. Place in salad bowl.
- Once browned, remove cabbage from oven and allow to cool while you make the salad dressing.
- To make the dressing combine all ingredients in a mason jar and whisk vigorously until combined.
- Add your cabbage to the bowl. Pour on about one quarter of the dressing and toss to coat. Add the cheese and toss again. Add more dressing as needed.
- Portion into 4 bowls and top with your protein. Enjoy!
Store leftover dressing in fridge for up to a week!