Snacks: Taco Cheese Popcorn
There is an awesome popcorn shop on Block Island called Pop Off The Block… we discovered them a few years back when they had a store front in Watch Hill. They have the most creative (and tastiest) popcorn flavors… Caramel Apple being my favorite… but one of our kid’s favorites is Cheesy Taco Popcorn. I was determined to figure out how to make it. It is the perfect after school snack! I think I nailed it!
It does require one “special” ingredient, powdered cheddar, but you can order on Amazon! I use homemade taco seasoning (see recipe below) because I always have a jar of it in my kitchen (we eat a lot of tacos!). You can absolutely use your favorite pre-made taco seasoning (Primal Palate is SO good!). I promise, this is SO easy.
Taco Cheese Popcorn
- 8 Cups popcorn
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 Cup cheddar cheese powder
- 2 Teaspoons taco seasoning (See recipe below or use your favorite!)
- Place your popcorn in a large bowl. Make sure it is large enough to be able to toss the popcorn like you would a salad. You can use store bought, microwave, or my favorite- homemade. I use 1/4 cup scoop of popcorn kernels with just enough oil in the scoop to cover them. Add them to a pot and cover with a lid and constantly slide the pot over the high heated burner. Keep going until the popcorn kernels slow popping!
- In a sauce pan heat butter on low heat (if you have popped your own just use the same pan!), sprinkle in the two teaspoons of taco seasoning. Allow to bubble just a little bit once the butter is completely melted, you don’t want it to brown. You are cooking the seasoning slightly to remove the raw flavor of the spices.
- Pour the seasoning melted butter over the popcorn in the bowl. Give a gentle toss to spread out the butter a bit. Then immediately sprinkle the cheddar cheese powder over the popcorn. Toss to combine… this takes a few minutes to make sure it is all coated!
- 2 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic powder
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 Teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon Black pepper (ground)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Dried oregano
- Mix all spices in a jar. Seal with a lid and shake vigorously until blended.
- Store at room temperature and add to your favorite taco dishes!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through these links. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you! All items on here are things that we own, love and use almost daily if not multiple times a day! Feel free to contact me with questions on any of the items!