I can take very little credit for this EASY back-to-school weeknight dinner idea.
Recently we saw friends for a small outdoor BBQ and my friend Rachael brought these amazing lettuce cups… she had seen the idea in a supermarket magazine of all places. They were fabulous. Light, fresh and delightfully filling all at the same time.
I took her genius addition to the BBQ and expanded on it ever so slightly. Really the possibilities are endless depending on what you have in your fridge… and while I say this is an easy weeknight meal for the craziness of back to school (back to Fall, back to reality), there is absolutely no reason this doesn’t transform itself into a dish for a dinner party (outdoors of course!) – your guests will love it!
Store bought rotisserie chicken is what makes these so darn easy, but feel free to add whatever your favorite protein is here! And go crazy with the toppings. Any of your favorite vegetables will work here!
Easy Lettuce Cups
- Shredded chicken from 1 or 2 store bought rotisserie chickens
- 2 Heads of Boston Bibb lettuce, leaves carefully separated
- 2 – 3 cups cooked and slightly cooled rice (white or brown)
- Yellow pepper cut into matchsticks
- 1 or 2 Persian cucumbers cut into matchsticks
- Quarter red onion sliced very thin
- 1 bunch of carrots, cut into matchsticks roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper at 450 for 20 minutes (you could also do raw carrots or pickled carrots here!)
- Chopped peanuts
- My favorite Quick Peanut Sauce or your favorite store bought peanut sauce, sweet & sour sauce, hoisin sauce, etc
- Sriracha for serving
Assemble your lettuce cups, or let everyone make their own- kind of like a taco bar! We loved having it all on a platter and letting everyone choose what they want! I find my kids are way more in to vegetables when they pile them on themselves!
Place lettuce leaf (cup) on your plate, top with a a tablespoon of rice, shredded chicken, vegetables, sauce, peanuts and then a little sriracha if you like it spicy! Enjoy!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through these links. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you! All items on here are things that we own, love and use almost daily if not multiple times a day! Feel free to contact me with questions on any of the items!