Graham crackers smothered in vanilla toffee & dark chocolate with a sprinkle of pecans… I really struggled to name this recipe… it is not a cookie. Is it bark? Is it candy? Is it the so called “Christmas Crack”? Let’s not limit this to Christmas because it could (and should) be made all year round… so let’s call it Graham Toffee Candy!
I was playing around with the “Christmas Crack” that is all over Pinterest and thought “This would taste so much better with graham crackers… and maybe pecans”. I was right! The candy here is a ridiculously easy vanilla toffee that is divine! You could swap in butterscotch chips for pecans, or use both. Omit the nuts, use different ones… you get my drift. Limitless variations!
I made with gluten free graham crackers (Pamela’s are my favorite!) but I am sure regular would work too!
- 2 7.5oz boxes of graham crackers (I like Pamela’s Gluten Free)- you will have leftovers.
- 8oz Butter cubed (I like Kerry Gold Grass Fed Butter)
- 1 Cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Sprinkle of gray salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and top with a silicone silpat. Alternatively grease the parchment paper with butter to prevent sticking.
- Line your graham crackers up in the pan so they make a tight rectangle, breaking some to fill the pan. You should have some leftover!
- In a small sauce pan combine the butter and the brown sugar over medium heat.
- Bring butter sugar mixture to a boil and reduce heat to low, constantly whisking for 3 minutes to make “candy”.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the caramel candy over the graham crackers on the cookie sheet and smooth out with a spatula to cover all graham crackers.
- Pop the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes until it is bubbling and golden.
- Melt the chocolate chips once the pan goes into the oven. My favorite method is in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave for 30 second increments, stirring in between until smooth and glossy.
- Remove the graham crackers from oven after the 5 minutes and allow to cool for 2 minutes until they stops bubbling.
- Pour melted chocolate over the graham crackers smoothing with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle with pecans and salt if using.
- Let the pan cool and then place in freezer for 2 hours to set (or the fridge for 6-8 hours… I am too impatient for that!).
- Once set remove from silpat or parchment and place on a cutting board, graham cracker side up. Cut into pieces with a sharp (non-serrated) knife. Store in a sealed container in fridge! ENJOY!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through an affiliate link. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you, thank you! All items linked are because we own, love and use them, or think they are of value to our readers (basically, we think they are pretty cool and want them ourselves!). Please let us know you have any questions about any products featured!