Coconut Macaroons. I think I first started making these for my in-laws for Passover early in our marriage. The first time I brought them my husband’s grandparents jubilantly stated that these were the best macaroons they had ever had. Ever. Coconut macaroons were their favorite cookie so they knew what they were talking about. Now I make them for the family for any holiday. They are so simple with only 5 ingredients and come together quickly.
I also think they make the perfect holiday “snowball” cookie and they make their way on to our Christmas Cookie plate. (Try our Gluten Free Roll Out Sugar Cookie for you Christmas Cookie collection too!) They will delight any coconut lover. You could get fancy and dip the bottoms in chocolate but we don’t mess with perfection around here.
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silpat.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, coconut, egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Using a rubber spatula, mix well, completely combining ingredients. Sometimes I have to use my hands to completely incorporate. It will seem like it may never come together- keep mixing. It becomes paste like. (If it really doesn’t come together your eggs may be too small, add another egg white.)
- Use a small ice cream scoop (about an inch) or a rounded tablespoon to scoop out half rounds of the coconut mixture. You want to press it against the side of the bowl as you scoop so that they are firmly packed mounds. You can also dip the ice cream scoop in ice cold water as you go, it will prevent sticking. Then place on prepared baking sheet, spacing about 1/2 to 1 inch apart.
- Bake until golden brown, rotating halfway through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool on pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue to cool. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze them!
These macaroons are truly THE BEST, Caroline. I’m not just saying that because I’m your mother-in-law. We’ve had a lot of taste test experience over the years and none compare to yours! What a delight!