This is a classic. My mom and I have been making it for years and I always make it the same day I make gazpacho. Cusinart is already out and you have leftover pepper and onion. Easy peasy.
It is the perfect thing to have in your fridge for a snack or whip out as an hors d’oeuvre when friends stop by. Also, totally kid approved!
- 1 Pound good sharp cheddar (white or orange)
- 1 small pepper or half large, any color
- 1/4 red onion
- 1.Rough chop pepper and onion and add to cusinart.
- 2. Pulse until a fine dice with a good amount of liquid.Place small strainer over a bowl and put pepper onion mixture in. Allow to strain, using a spatula to push liquid out.
- 3. Meanwhile, cube cheddar into 1/2 inch pieces and add to base of cusinart.
- 4. Pulse the cheese a few times to break into smaller pieces. Then add strained pepper onion mixture, reserving the liquid (you may need to add back in to cheese!)
- 5. Pulse again to combine the peppers, onion & cheddar.
- 6. Slowly add in a little of the liquid to smooth out mixture (you may need a little or you may need the whole thing). Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- 7. Process once more until really smooth.
- 8. Store in covered container in refrigerator for a week.
- 9. Spread in toast, crackers, celery sticks or cucumbers. Make a grilled cheese or quesadilla or swirl into soup- it is so good!