Fall is here despite what the temperature outside may be! I am ready for super easy, delicious & warming dinners. In comes my best kitchen gadget, the Instant Pot. This genius little appliance makes quick work of 5 ingredients (yes FIVE! Okay, 6 with the bay leaf… and salt and pepper just don’t count!) and puts a chili on your table in about an hour start to finish. And it tastes like it has been on the stove for hours!
Chicken & Sweet Potato Chili
(Serves 8-10, freezes well)
- 3-4 lbs Boneless, skinless chicken thighs; trimmed
- 4 Cups cubes sweet potatoes (I leave the skin on)
- 2 Cups salsa verde (I like Trader Joe’s brand!)
- 2 Cups chicken stock
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 or 2 Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of one lime
- Chopped handful of cilantro
- Place trimmed chicken thighs in the base of your instant pot insert. Season with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Spread cubed sweet potatoes on top. Pour Salsa on top and then the stock on top of that.
- Place lid on instant pot and lock into place with the toggle turned to sealed. Press manual button and set to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When instant pot is finished cooking allow for a natural release. Remove lid and find the bay leaves and remove. Using the back of a wooden spoon break up the chicken thighs, pressing them into the side of the pot. The should shred easily. Be careful not to completely break up the sweet potatoes… but they will also thicken the chili nicely when they get slightly mashed. If it feels to brothy set the instant pot to saute function and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes with the lid.
- Once ready pour in juice of one lime and chopped cilantro.
- Ladle into bowls and top with your favorites! We like sour cream, cheddar, red onion, avocado and tortilla chips!
*If you don’t have an Instant Pot (get one!) you can make this in the slow cooker or even the oven. Follow steps 1 and 2 and then cook in a slow cooker/oven for 8 hours on low and then continue with steps 4 through 6.