Happy Halloween! I have a few treats for you with my October Favorites! I am well over the tricks for this month… gosh this month was a tricky one. Personally, I seem to have a lot on my plate, much stems from delays on construction (still have not broken ground…but I also realize this is a first world problem); but there seems to be something in the air too. Maybe it’s Covid fatigue, maybe it’s being fed up with social media (maybe we should talk more about this?), maybe it’s the return to things being “normal” despite the lingering haze of Covid that is just exhausting. But everyone seems to be in the same boat, all my friends seem to be saying the same thing. Mercury in retro grade perhaps? I don’t know, but cheers to a new month and hopefully righting the ship a bit.
- The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman – Loved this one. Definitely kept me guessing, not all thrillers do! Fun Hollywood/entertainment industry back drop!
- Cashmere Crew – Everlane sent me this sweater as a gift and I have to say it’s the perfect little crew neck. It looks great with jeans and also a maxi skirt. Oh and it’s oh so soft!
- The White Sneaker – Fall is all about sneakers for me. Not quite cold enough for boots every day but can’t wear Birkenstock’s (well not every day- ha!), in comes the sneaker. These are the perfect white sneaker (also a gift from Everlane!), they are neutral so they go with everything and the white isn’t too bright! And comfortable!
- Fabulous Fall Dress – I am obsessed with this dress. Wear it during the day with it’s self belt but can also dress it up with a leather belt at night. Sneakers, clogs or boots! I also plan on wearing with a turtleneck when it gets a bit colder! It is so well made and the cotton fabric thicker, definitely worth the money! (If it looks familiar it was on my Fall Wishlist!)
- Giada’s New Cookbook – I read this book and felt like Giada was in my head saying my own thoughts! She and I certainly have some of the same dietary issues. It is all about feeling your best and fueling yourself the best way you can. Her practices aren’t for everyone, there is no one “diet” for everybody, we are all different. That said, the recipes are REALLY good, and that is for everyone!
- Maid (Netflix) – This could be an entire blog post on its own. And maybe I will write that… I should. This show was incredibly impactful, so much so the day after we finished it I called around to local DVC’s to see what I could do to help, turns out it’s not that easy! I digress…. the show is beautifully done. It’s painful, up lifting and humorous all at once. The mother daughter dynamic, played by real mother daughter Andie McDowell and Margaret Qualley, is excellent. If you have not watched, stop doing what you’re doing and turn on the TV!
- We Were Never There by Andrea Bartz – Still thinking about this creepy read! Very Single White Female and I am still thinking about the end!!!
- Buck Naked Kitchen Cookbook by Kristen Buck – Another great cookbook! Fun recipes with clean ingredients!
- Gray Jeans – These were on my Fall Wardrobe Wishlist… I used to have a pair of gray jeans I LOVED, turns out I love these even more!
- White Button Down – This has become my uniform… I ADORE this button down from Frank & Eileen. I have it in black too and live in them. Heavier weight since they are denim, they are perfect with the gray jeans above!
- YOU (Netflix) – This show is back and just as creepy as ever. I really didn’t think they could pull off a third season…. but they nailed it and just renewed for a fourth!
- Maroon Sneakers – I said Fall was all about sneakers, right? Love the color of these for Fall! Also, platform is fantastic!
- Plastic Bins – Okay, not super fun. BUT, we have always stored anything in our basement in plastic bins… protects it from dust, water leaks etc, etc. Well, we have a few cardboard boxes left from the move filled with items that will find a home in the new addition. Guess what happened? A pipe leaked… and it was a LOT of water. So what did I spend a Saturday (yesterday actually!) doing?! Drying and transferring all our fine china etc into these plastic bins! Clear makes it easier so you know what’s in them!
- Halloween (1978) – It is not Halloween without this movie. Thankfully, Matt loves scary movies too. The original 1978 Halloween will always be my favorite! I remember stumbling on this movie, I was probably 11, and they used to show it on network TV during the day (edited of course), I LOVED the suspense! Bill Simmons just did a Rewatchables podcast on it and they even mentioned that, finding it on network TV back in the day! Have a happy Halloween- we are off to watch this, good night!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through an affiliate link. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you, thank you! All items linked are because we own, love and use them; or think they are of value to our readers (basically, we think they are pretty cool and want them ourselves!). Please let us know you have any questions about any products featured!