Looking to make something super easy, super satisfying and probably already have everything in your kitchen? I got you! These are upgraded “Krispie” treats with decadent browned butter and a touch of salt. You can really use any plain cereal here… Chex, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes etc etc. I’d stay away from fruit flavored cereals, but chocolate would work! Last time we made this we used a combo of Cheerios and Rice Chex!
Brown Butter Cereal Bars
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Cups marshmallows
- 5 Cups of your favorite cereal
- Pinch or two of kosher or pink salt
- Line a pan with parchment so that it goes up the edges. We use a 8×8 pan and sometimes a pie plate.
- In a large pot, add butter over medium heat. Cook until it just begins to brown, being careful, it can burn and become bitter quickly. You want it a golden light toffee color.
- Add in marshmallows immediately and stir. Add a pinch of salt and keep stirring until all the marshmallows have melted and are smooth.
- Then add in cereal right away. Keep gently folding until evenly coated.
- Pour out into prepared pan and press down firmly into pan.
- Allow to cool slightly to set and then cut into squares!