Apple crisp. Talk about a dessert that is a hit any season. Summer BBQ’s, Fall gatherings, Winter holidays and Spring brunches. This one is extra special with addition of bourbon, it adds a little more depth! The gluten free topping is so buttery and delicious!
Serving with vanilla ice cream is definitely encouraged.
Bourbon Apple Crisp
- 3 Extra large apples or 5 large apples cored and cut into 1/2 pieces. I quarter the apple and then cut each section into 6 slices
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 1/4 – 1/3 Bourbon (You can swap with apple cider if you are alcohol free)
- 1/2 Teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 Teaspoons arrowroot starch
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Cup gluten free oats (old fashion rolled)
- 1/2 Cup almond flour, packed
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 Cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are great here)
- 1/4 Teaspoon sea salt
- 6 Tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place apples into a buttered 11 inch pie plate.
- Whisk together honey and bourbon, then add in the cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and arrowroot. Whisk again.
- Pour mixture over apples and toss to coat. Spread the apples evenly out in pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the topping. Combine the oats, almond flour, sugar, nuts and salt, mix well. Pour in the melted butter and mix again.
- After the 20 minutes, pull apples out of the oven. Top with the crumble mixture and spread out gently to the edged of plate to cover apples. Careful, the edged are hot!
- Bake again for 25 to 30 minutes until golden on top and the filling is thick and bubbly.
- Let rest for 10 minutes so it sets and you don’t burn your mouth!
- Serve with vanilla ice cream for dessert! Cover leftovers and refrigerate… top with yogurt for a special breakfast!