My FAVORITE blogger/cookbook author, Tieghan Gerard of Half Baked Harvest came out with a Blueberry Lemon Thyme Smash cocktail the other week and it looked so amazing. (if you don’t have her latest cookbook… buy it!)
I didn’t have all the ingredients so I got creative using her method and the result was pretty fantastic. Strawberry Basil Smash for the win!
I use tequila here… well, because I always use tequila. But vodka, bourbon or rum would work well too!
Strawberry Basil Smash
- 1/2 Cup finely diced fresh strawberries
- 4 Teaspoons of thinly sliced basil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 Heaping tablespoons of strawberry jam (the best is Bonne Maman)
- 1 Cup of tequila (or vodka, rum, bourbon… even gin!)
- Plain seltzer of club soda
- Add diced strawberries, basil, jam and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker or a large mason jar. Mash all the ingredients together with a muddler or the back of a spoon.
- Add in tequila and shake well! Drink immediately or place in fridge.
- When ready, you can either strain into 4 glasses of ice, or pour directly in with fruit and basil too. Top with seltzer.
I have done this both ways, and besides sometimes getting a mouthful of fruit, we prefer the berries in the drink!