We are taking off for February break tomorrow and are lucky enough to be venturing somewhere warmer than the North East. We are SO excited! That travel day… it can be daunting right? Kids and air travel can be tricky. I have been stuck on an airplane and in an airport with a toddler for hours; you want to be ready for anything. I find that when I am traveling solo with the kids if I over prepare I don’t feel so anxious. This means starting to pack a week ahead of time, yes I might obsessively over plan. It drives my husband crazy, but it works.
So, since I had this figured out last week (ha!), this what I wear and pack in a carry on to get me from here to there… on a plane… with kids in tow. Comfort and ease are most important, but I am absolutely old fashioned in the sense that I want to look pulled together for air travel. Do you remember when people use to dress up to fly? You never know who you are going to meet or run into…
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through an affiliate link. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you, thank you! All items linked are because we own, love and use them, or think they are of value to our readers (basically, we think they are pretty cool and want them ourselves!). Please let us know you have any questions about any products featured!
- Athleta Revive Long Sleeve Tee – This is my most favorite long sleeve tee (I have it in 3 colors), light, breathable, drapes very nicely and the sleeves push up easily which is key when you get to your warm destination!
- Athleta Pranayama Wrap Cardigan – A lightweight long cardigan is essential when it comes to layering. I have a cardigan from a few seasons ago that I wear all the time, but I may need to upgrade to this one!
- Vince Blair 5 Slip-On Sneaker – A slip on comfortable sneaker is a must when going through airport security! These Vince ones are great, I also love these from Dr. Scholl’s.
- Athleta Mid Rise Salutation 7/8 Tight– Apparently leggings really are now pants. These are the MOST comfortable leggings and totally appropriate when your shirt is long enough. I want to be able to move comfortably AND be able to sit comfortably while traveling. The bonus is then I have an extra pair of tights for workouts when I get there. The other pair I travel in often, also Athleta, are the Sophia Street Tight. The zipper detail is awesome!
- Rebecca Minkoff Lotus Paisley Oblong Scarf– I always tuck in a scarf for travel. Keeps you warm if you get a little chilly on the plane, dresses up an outfit instantly and becomes a wrap for an evening out. I love the tassels on this one.
- Alex & Ani St. Christopher Charm – I never travel without my St. Christopher Charm. St. Christopher is the patron saint of travelers and is said to be a sacred source of protection. Regardless of religious beliefs who doesn’t need a little extra luck on their side, plus the charm is lovely!
Now to the carry on a bag. I like to keep it light but filled with things that entertain.
- MZ Wallace Metro Backpack – You may have read my post about backpacks and how I think backpacks may solve the irritation of a heavy slipping tote bag when adventuring with children. I gave this one a test run and I think it makes life easy. I have so many to choose from over in this post so check it out! This bag is lightweight and can hold a lot- plus it has internal pockets! This one is currently on sale at Bloomingdales!
- Apple iPad– I actually got a new one for Christmas and it is awesome! I will be able to stay connected (if I want to) while I am away. I have my shows (see #4), books & magazines AND my workouts downloaded for a week of vacation, what’s better than that?
- MZ Wallace Metro Zipper Pouch – I love this little pouch (and MZ Wallace, can you tell?), I use this to store my wallet, passports, keys, gum, chargers, etc, etc. It fits it all and then doubles as a cute clutch for dinners out! This one is on sale, too!
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – I downloaded the entire first season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel- we watched the pilot and it is pretty funny! Free with Amazon Prime, if you don’t have that you should!
- Bulletproof Vanilla Shortbread Bars with Brain Octane – I LOVE these bars. I am a big fan of the Bulletproof Brain Octane and this puts in a bar form- perfect for a healthy snack on the go.
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng – I just finished her second book, Little Fires Everywhere and loved it!
- Kindle Fire – I have one of these for each kid and it was the smartest thing I ever bought for travel. Loaded with learning apps, books, shows and movies it keeps them entertained and happy! Also currently on sale!
- Noot Kids Headphones – Also have a pair of these for each kid! Essential for the plane or a car ride!
- Wet Ones – do these even need an explanation? Germs. I stick an extra pack in my suitcase for the return trip.
- Mudpuppy Mini Coloring Roll– I love this for the plane and for when we arrive at our destination!
- Crayola 8 Pack of Crayons – Extra crayons for the coloring roll!
- Go Go Squeeze Applesauce – I always have these in my bag regardless of travel, perfect snack on the go for the kids.
- Annie’s Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Granola Bars – These are my kids favorites, also always in my bag! I also have Mini M&M’s (takes them longer to eat them!) and Dum Dum Lollipops for takeoff and landing!
What are you travel essentials? Favorite thing to wear?