I got a bunch of messages from you lovely people asking what goes into my suitcase for a trip after my Travel post focused on my carry on and what I wear on the flight. Since I try and keep my bag for the plane on the smaller side I keep it streamlined, stick with the basics and make sure every item can be worn together! These are pieces I have (or are similar to what I bought long ago) and love. These outfits have taken me to California, Colorado, Bermuda, Tennessee and beyond, so not just a tropical getaway!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through an affiliate link. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you, thank you! All items linked are because we own, love and use them, or think they are of value to our readers (basically, we think they are pretty cool and want them ourselves!). Please let us know you have any questions about any products featured!
- Lou & Grey Signature Soft Dress – I have the short sleeve version in black and it is so versatile. Dress it up for dinner out with a necklace (see #13) or wait it for day. This long sleeve dress is great, too… I may need to get it. You can also layer the cardigan from my Travel post over it.
- Birkenstock Gizeh – I swear by Birkenstocks. Anyone who knows me knows I am obsessed. These get a fashion update with the metallic silver which goes with everything. You can not beat the comfort of this sandal; it can take you all over your destination without bothering your back or feet. You may have worn them in high school (I did!) and be rolling your eyes but they are back and totally chic!
- Jack Rogers – I have worn Jack Rogers forever. Equal parts preppy and bohemian, they go with everything and make even cut off jean shorts look polished. Upgraded flip flop! I have several pairs, all with a little bit of metallic which makes them a little more special, in my opinion!
- James Perse Relaxed V-Neck Tee – These are investment tees. No way around that. But this v-neck is the best fit I’ve found for me so I get a new one each year and wear them constantly. They last, I’ve had a few for 6 years and they still look great- that’s a long time for a t-shirt!
- AG Jean Bryn High Rise Cutoff Denim Shorts – The newer version of the ones I purchased last year. Comfortable and flattering! Denim acts as a neutral so easy to pair with everything else in your suitcase.
- LOFT Modern Skinny Jean – White jeans. The staple in any closet and any suitcase. I have tried them all on… seriously, I have sought out every brand, every cut and these LOFT ones are the BEST. And they are always on sale. I have 3 or 4 pairs of them!
- Velvet by Graham & Spencer Maxi Dress – A long simple dress will take you from the beach to shopping to dinner with a change of sandals and a necklace add. Travel perfection. I have an old Banana Republic long maxi dress and also a great score from TJ Maxx, but I want to upgrade to this one! This one from Boden is also great!
- TOMS Florentin Sunglasses – If you follow me on Instagram you know that I have a love for TOMS sunglasses. They are well made, sturdy, chic & on trend and affordable. But, the best part is their “One For One” initiative; “TOMS Eyewear purchases provide a person in need with a full eye exam by trained medical professionals. Each patient then receives the treatment he or she needs.” This pair is one of my favorites, the reflective blue lenses are great!
- Joie Mauro Blouse – A pretty silk blouse is great with both white jeans for dinner out or the denim cutoffs for day time shopping and lunch.
- Joie Laurana Sweatshirt – I love to tuck a sophisticated sweatshirt into my bag. I can wear this with both denim bottoms, the leggings I traveled in or even over the short tee dress as well. You won’t look sloppy in a “sweatshirt” with the cool asymmetrical hemline and zipper!
- Joie Delevan Top – Always a striped top. Just a staple. How cute is the tie detail on the sleeves on this one?
- Alexis Bittar Bangles – I have long loved Alexis Bittar jewelry, something about the lucite speaks to me. I received a stack of these tapered bangles from my mom a few years ago and I keep adding more. I get so many compliments when I wear them! They are lightweight and go with everything, perfect for travel.
- Kenneth Jay Lane Necklace – A statement necklace to punch up everything in your suitcase. This Madewell Necklace one is pretty too and a little more delicate.
- TOMS Alparagata Platform Espadrille – these go with everything in your suitcase and are just so comfortable! Again, love TOMS “One For One” initiative!
I realize as I have reached the end of this list I forgot to “pack” a swimsuit in my suitcase… let’s leave swimwear for another post! What is your favorite swimwear brand? Also what are your “must haves” when packing for a vacation?