A warming, spiced and spicy cocktail, sign me up! A simple syrup made with classic Fall flavors and a habanero gives you an earthy and spicy base for this fun Fall drink. Halloween parties, Thanksgiving gathering… or just a Friday night! I went with tequila here because it is my favorite but you could also use mezcal, bourbon, vodka or even a spiced rum! One word of caution, habaneros can be HOT. I first made this allowing the habanero to soak for 15 minutes… good but very spicy. I went back and reduced the time to 5 minutes, but if you like it hot adjust accordingly! The syrup would also be great with club soda for a little something special too!
(makes 4 cocktails)
Harvest Simple Syrup
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup water
- 12 Whole allspice berries
- 8 Whole cloves
- 6 Cinnamon sticks
- 2 One inch slices of ginger
- 1 Habanero pepper halved and deseeded
- 1 Cup tequila such as Espolon Blanco or Reposado or alcohol of your choice
- 1 Cup blood orange juice
- 1/2 Cup Harvest Simple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup lime juice
- 8 Dashes of Bitters
- Lime wedges for serving
To make simple syrup:
- Combine water and sugar in a small sauce pan. Add allspice, clove, cinnamon sticks and ginger.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved. Turn off heat and add the habanero pepper.
- Remove pepper after 5 minutes (longer if you want it spicier!) and discard.
- Allow the syrup to stand a room temperature for another 55 minutes to allow the spice to infuse.
- Strain syrup into a jar and throw away spices. Chill syrup in fridge. It will keep in fridge for weeks!
To make cocktail:
- In large pitcher or extra large mason jar combine all ingredients listed under Cocktail ingredients above. Stir or shake well.
- Pour over your ice filled favorite glass and garnish with a lime wedge.