Things are shifting.
Now in this Phase One stage restaurants are offering outside dining, fitness studios are reopening as are stores slowly with restrictions in place. It feels hopeful… I think, as a family, we will continue to hibernate a little longer and dip our toes in the water with caution in the coming weeks. There is still so much unknown about the virus, particularly in children, and it seems that the information changes daily.
That said, as the country was starting to reopen last week, there was a happening that is anything but hopeful. The death of a George Floyd.
What happened to George Floyd and what is happening in our country needs to be discussed.
It is often hard to know what to say about racism in America. I am a white woman who has the privilege of never being judged or discriminated for my skin color. What can I do and what can I say? I need to read more, listen more, absorb and understand.
In the meantime, I can use this small platform of mine to say this is not okay. This can not continue. We must change.
I can actively discuss this topic at our dinner table. I can answer my kids’ questions. I can make sure they fully understand what it means to be anti-racism and not tolerate this behavior.
A friend sent on a great resource for books and literature: here.
I know I try to keep light here, but this needs to be said. This behavior in our country, in our world is not okay. We can no longer remain silent and expect things to change. It is time to speak up. Start it at home. Talk to you kids and your family. Don’t be silent.
It seems trivial to now rattle off “May’s Favorite Things” but perhaps you need a small break and distraction, too. We’ve needed them all month (okay three months) with the Coronavirus but now even more.
- The Americans on Amazon Prime – We started this show when it came on back in 2013 and fell off after the 1st season. It seemed like a perfect time to binge it. What an excellent show. We were sad to say good by to the Jennings at the end.
- Paint By Sticker Book – Move over paint by number… this is not as messy. My preschooler and I have LOVED doing this together!
- Outer Banks on Netflix – Okay, Matt is NOT into this teen mystery drama, but I am.
- The Last House Guest by Megan Miranda – I read this in two days. Loved it. Mindless page turner.
- Freedom Moses Sandals – I bought these for the beach to replace my rubber flip-flops… they are so comfortable and cute I am already wearing them all the time! Leopard not your thing? They come in so many other colors!
- Slip Headband & Scrunchies – I can not believe I purchased a scrunchie… and a silk headband? Serious throw back to grade school for me, but they are so great! So gentle on my hair and the headband has been great for “quarantine hair”!
- Homesick Candle – I ordered this LA candle for Matt because we had to cancel out June trip to LA… this really smells like LA. It is so good!
- Everlane Tee Shirt – love, love, love this new white tee. Great price point too!
- Private Patch Pocket Chino Pant – I wanted a pair of pants that were not jeans and these are amazing! I can’t stop wearing them.
- 80’s Puzzle – Matt and I (and the kids, I swear) finished this 1000 piece puzzle in less than 24 hours… it was such an excellent distraction and so fun to revisit our favorites from the 80’s and teach our kids about some iconic 80’s people and things! I immediately ordered the 90’s version.
- Still Lives: A Novel by Maria Hummel – Haven’t finished this one yet but who doesn’t love a page turner with a mysterious twist. I can’t wait to see how this one ends!
- The Lovebirds on Netflix – Need a laugh? Watch this. These two are hilarious.
Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer Herb Tea – This stuff WORKS. It is excellent before bedtime!
- Maui Jim Siren Sunglasses – These were a bit of a spurgle. But I love them, and eye protection… I wear sunglasses everyday, even when it is drizzling!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through an affiliate link. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you, thank you! All items linked are because we own, love and use them, or think they are of value to our readers (basically, we think they are pretty cool and want them ourselves!). Please let us know you have any questions about any products featured!