This grieving thing is a tricky business. I recently read a particularly poignant article on A Cup Of Jo by the incredible Nora McInerny about grief and lipstick. Really, go read it. It totally explains why I feel the need to blow my hair dry and put on jeans instead of my uniform workout gear.
She touched on a point that resonated with me (she lost her husband to brain cancer), she would soon be older than her husband ever was. I have never known a world without my big brothers. They have always looked out for me, their little sister. I now have to go on and live the rest of my life without one of them. I am not even 40. It seems naive perhaps, but I just don’t really get it yet. How do I do this?
My mother put it perfectly; not only was he my best friend but he was also my history. To have that person, the one who knew me from birth, who was still so intertwined in my daily existence and was meant to continue to be so in my future be gone is just surreal. As Nora said, I will one day be older than he ever was. That fact knocks the wind out of me.
So, as I navigate this new world, I walk. Pretty simple. The fresh air, the colors, the activity, the movement; it is what I need. Something about it is very therapeutic. I am busy. I listen to podcasts, pay attention to my devoted dog and get some exercise. Win, win win. But, as I said, it is getting cold. I need some gear to keep me warm. See below for what I currently have and what I have my eye on. Bonus, it is “Cyber Monday” and most of this gear is on sale today!
Please note: A Modern Housewife LLC has affiliate relationships with multiple brands. A Modern Housewife LLC will earn a small commission on any item purchased through an affiliate link. That commission keeps this site up and running and allows us to keep the content coming to you, thank you! All items linked are because we own, love and use them, or think they are of value to our readers (basically, we think they are pretty cool and want them ourselves!). Please let us know you have any questions about any products featured!
Click on name of item to shop
- Apple AirPods – Wishlist item for me! My hands are getting cold from holding my phone while walking and wires from the headphones get tangled with the dog leash!
- Sorel Whitney Short Lace Boot – These were also on my wishlist but with the Black Friday Sale I caved and bought them! They will keep my ankles warm and my feet dry! I love the sneaker bottom for walking.
- The North Face Woman’s E-Top Gloves – I need new gloves. These would keep me warm and also allow me to set up my podcasts with gloves on!
- L.L. Bean Signature Fleece Pullover – I got this last year in black… it is SO warm. I love it! Also comes in a pretty cream color and rust too!
- Athleta Flurry Base Layer Turtleneck – I have this in the white and it’s awesome. Would love the teal too!
- L.L. Bean Ultra Light 850 Down Hooded Coat – This extremely warm and comfortable (and flattering!) down coat is such a steal! Especially when you tack on the additional discount! I purchased it last year, wore it daily, and it still looks like new!
- Athleta Primaloft® Alpine Valley Tight – These do their job! Warm and cute!
- Patagonia Cable Knit Hat – I have an older version of this that has lasted years! (Actually my brother bought it for me for my birthday!)
Do you have a favorite item of gear that keeps you warm in these chilly temps? Or actually, any podcasts I am missing out on? I am loving The Daily, This American Life, Dirty John was awesome, I have Slow Burn on the list- send me your suggestions please!