Mac & Cheese. Everyone loves it, right?
Well, everyone in my house does. Before my acknowledgement of my gluten sensitivity one of my favorite treats was Stouffer’s Macaroni & Cheese. It was basically childhood in a bowl: Creamy, delicious and, well, hearty. This recipe is as close as I have gotten to that classic.
In comes the Instant Pot (I know, I know… but it really is amazing. Read all about it here) and Melissa Clark’s genius cookbook, Dinner In An Instant. This recipe is adaptation of her Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni & Cheese. I highly recommend hers but I wanted to make it a little bit lighter and gluten free. And you know, throw a vegetable in there too… Another side note, mac & cheese is very hard to photograph!
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Cups Milk (I use 2%)
- 1 8 Oz Block Cream Cheese
- 1 16 Oz Bag of Frozen Butternut Squash defrosted completely
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 3/4 Teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
- A Few Dashes of Smoked Paprika
- 12 oz Box of Gluten Free Pasta (I think Jovial is the best brand around- try these or these)
- 8 Oz of Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Coat the bottom of your Instant Pot insert with 1 tablespoon butter to prevent sticking.
- In a blender add the other tablespoon of butter, milk, cream cheese, squash, garlic, dry mustard, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Blend on high until really smooth.
- Add macaroni and sauce from blender into the Instant Pot and stir well. Cover with lid and set the vent to sealed. Set for 6 minutes on high pressure.
- When cooking time is complete manually release (carefully switch valve to release). I normally throw a dishtowel over the valve so that hot steam doesn’t go everywhere. Remove lid once all the steam has released and the toggle is down. Immediately stir in grated cheddar.